There are lots of reasons your email marketing efforts may not provide the desired results or may even fail altogether. It may be that you did not have a proper marketing strategy in place, or you did not have the right audience to send your mails to. However, the most common reason for email marketing failing is its content.
Therefore, to make your email marketing work better, you will have to know about content marketing, which is one of the fundamental aspects of social media marketing. You will need to consider all those factors that will make your content marketing work, but it is as essential to know why and when it fails. This will ensure that you avoid common content marketing mistakes. These are:
- You do not have a proper content marketing strategy or give enough attention to it. According to the report of the Content Marketing Institute, 92% of marketers consider content as an essential business asset that improves the value of their brand but less than 46% of them have a proper content marketing strategy in place for managing it.
- Your content may not be relevant to your brand or of high quality. Therefore, it may not be resonating with your target audience and maybe creating issues and pulling your business back from achieving your business objectives.
Therefore, make sure that your content overlaps the interest of your audience with the challenges of the value proposition of your business. This will ensure that you gain more followers for Instagram, who will be encouraged to subscribe to your email list.
Content should not be boring
Your content should never be boring, whether it is for your website o for your emails. If your content is boring, then it will not be read on the webpages, shared on Instagram, or opened when you send an email.
- Therefore, make sure that you create the most exciting content to make your content and social media marketing successful.
- Irrespective of the topic or purpose you are writing about, you make your content more actionable and relevant.
This will make sure that readers flock your site, and your emails are responded as and when they are sent. Apart from that, you must also make sure that your content inspires your community as well.
The common mistakes to avoid to ensure that your website or email content is not boring are:
- Not hiring an experienced or expensive writer
- Not knowing the type of content to create for your business and
- Not knowing your target audience.
Do not have any unrealistic expectations or provide any to your audience and make sure that you do not set your goals too high.
SEO is important
Besides, to create the best and most interesting content, you should also promote it as well. Especially if it a website content. However, promotion is a significant aspect of content marketing for all purposes, even emails. Therefore, focus on SEO and that too proper SEO.
Most marketers think that it is only a technical aspect and, therefore, stuff their content with keywords. You need not overdo it either. All you have to is:
A bit of keyword research to find the best ones that people are looking for
- Include proper title tags
- Use meta descriptions and
- Use interlinks, slugs, and alt tags for images as well.
This will help you get higher click-through rates or open rates for your emails. This will not make your mails or content miraculously viral but will surely make it popular over time.
Test to make it functional
After you write your content and before you promote it, you should test it thoroughly to make sure that it is functional, shareable, and ‘openable.’ Testing will also enable you to know a lot of other things such as:
- Whether it is relevant to your brand
- Whether it reinforces the message of your brand and
- Whether or not it resonates with your target audience.
If you do not test it, then you will not be able to know what is working and, most importantly, what is not working and needs improvement. The metrics will enable you to monitor, analyze, and iterate your content and emails.
No mediocre content or email will provide the desired results, and therefore you will need to search, research, and look at the different analytics. This will enable you to think about your content concerning your audience deeply.
Therefore, you should focus on creating smart content, and you should follow the “COPE” principle, which refers to Create Once, Publish Everywhere.
However, you must also remember when you post your content that your content will appear differently on different platforms, which is why your content should be smart. Experts say that when you see one specific content working just the way you want, instead of creating more content like it, you should do more with it. This will make sure that your emails are opened more and make an appointment with the recipient.
Incorporate lead generation of list building
In any form of social media marketing, content marketing is one of the most important marketing tactics. It will help you to reach out to more people with your emails, content, images, and other elements so that:
- You can reach your business goals
- Offer your customers and prospects with real value and
- Make the lives of the followers better.
It is only when a product solves issues of the users they will buy it from you. Therefore, make sure that your email content provides the value and benefit to the users. This will enable you to generate more leads and build your email list.
Even if you do not implement any lead generation technique, you will still need a long email list. This will help you a lot in your business, even if you do not wish to sell through the email list.
Therefore, one of the most valuable results that you will get through content marketing is that it will provide you with a huge opportunity to grow your email list, which will prove to be the most valuable asset for your company.