Despite the outright denial of Sanofi Pasteur, the Dengvaxia manufacturer, and former Health Sec. Janette Garin regarding the safety issue of the vaccine said to prevent dengue virus, the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) Forensic Laboratory has again presented strong evidence of the consistency related to the death of the children in the Philippines vaccinated with Dengvaxia. Deaths have now reached 153 and according to PAO, thousands more are probably at risk and being monitored. Garin, Sanofi Pasteur, and some officials from Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) are now facing “reckless imprudence resulting to homicide” and other cases.
It was during February 11, 2016 that the Philippines, under Health Secretary Janette Garin, hosted the nationwide launch of Dengvaxia even though that time, the vaccine was still on clinical trial so it should not be approved for mass vaccination. It was late that the World Health Organization (WHO) released a warning, during March 2016, saying Dengvaxia “may be ineffective or may even increase that risk in those who are seronegative at the time of first vaccination.”
Even Sanofi Pasteur had claimed that the vaccine is unsafe, but only “to those who have not yet contracted the dengue disease”. However, on the series of examinations, it was found out that 9 out of 153 deaths (6%) who are “seropositives”, or those who had been infected with dengue, also suffered and died from “Dengvaxia Death Syndrome”; meaning that the vaccine was the cause of their death.
It was said that out of 1 million targets, there were around 890,000 Filipinos vaccinated with Dengvaxia. This was during former President Nonoy Aquino’s administration. Even the daughter, the granddaughter, and the grandson of the President, Rodrigo Duterte, were also vaccinated with the controversial Dengvaxia. However, there are no reports if they were also having the negative effects. Interestingly, president Duterte’s daughter, Veronica “Kitty” Duterte, still contracted dengue fever in 2019.
In November 2016, the House of Representatives probes the allegedly questionable purchase of the vaccine and later, Senate claimed that it was “permitted without congressional approval”.
Meanwhile, in November 29, 2017 Sanofi Pasteur announces that Dengvaxia is “more risky for people not previously infected by the virus” that’s why in December 1, 2017 Health Secretary Francisco Duque III ordered the temporary suspension of the vaccination program. But despite Sanofi’s claim that the vaccine is effective, many people who were vaccinated still died of Dengue fever.
As of February 19, 2020, while cases are being processed against Garin, Sanofi and other health officials, President Rodrigo Duterte permanently banned Dengvaxia use in the country. This is due to Sanofi’s inconsistency and failure to comply requirements and also to the overwhelming deaths allegedly caused by the vaccine. PAO’s assigned forensic investigators consistently found probable cause suggesting that Dengvaxia might really be the cause of those deaths. Among those 153 who died were Elijah Rain de Guzman, age 12, Rhenzyl Castillo, 13 years old, and a certain 14 year old girl whose parents don’t want to identify. All of them suffered from “severe fluid accumulation in the tissues (edema) and hemorrhaging in the brain. All of them received three doses of Dengvaxia vaccine.
- TIMELINE: The Dengvaxia controversy
- Rush To Produce, Sell Vaccine Put Kids In Philippines At Risk
- Duterte’s daughter, grandchild received Dengvaxia, says Bong Go
- Sanofi Pasteur, former Health Sec. Janette Garin and Others Face Probe over Dengvaxia Vaccine Deaths
- Featured image: Facebook Friends of Public Attorney’s Office – PAO
- Image 1.0: Sanofi rejects full refund, indemnity